My Dream Vacation to Australia
Megan Orser, 250523909
Monday March 18th, 2013
Geo 2144F: Geography of Tourism
Dr. Smith


Saturday, March 16, 2013

Heading Down Under...

~Australia~
I am so fortunate to live in a family that appreciates and encourages any opportunity to travel.  I currently have friends and family all over the world, ranging from Kuwait, Deli, the Philippines, the Netherlands, the Dominican Republic, Antigua, Mexico, Tanzania, Sri Lanka, Switzerland AND finally Australia.  I have had endless opportunities to go and visit these locations, however the timing or the money, or the motivation has not been there...until now!  A girlfriend of mine moved to Australia in February of this year.  She got into the Masters program for physio and will be living there for the next two years.  Suddenly, a light bulb went off in my travel brain and I could not get the idea of traveling to Australia out of my head.  Australia has everything I would be looking for in a travel destination: 
  • WARMTH: I love that it will be summer in Australia when it is winter here in Canada, a perfect Christmas break vacation.  Due to the fact that December is a peak season for Australia's tourist industry, Wes and I contemplated going during August, the off season when prices are cheaper.  However, with cheaper prices comes cheaper weather.  Since we are both looking to enjoy the warmth, we are going to splurge a little and head to Australia during their peak, warm summer.  
  • 1st world safety:  Due to the fact that I have had two kidney transplants and am on a number of immunosuppression drugs, I am unable to receive any live vaccines.  Australia has quality health care and does not require any vaccines to remain safe there. 
  • English: They speak English!  I was not blessed with any talent in learning new languages, so it is important to me that I will be able to communicate easily with the locals.  I will also be traveling with my boyfriend, who has a severe peanut allergy, it is very important that we are able to clearly communicate this information to all of the places we will be eating out at! 
  • BEACHES: I am a sun seeker.  I thrive off of the sun, the beach and the water.  Australia has some of the world's most beautiful beaches and I have this craving to be there.  My boyfriend, Wes has also expressed that he is looking to get the full Australia experience through surfing.  With that being said, we both need a beach.  
  • ANNIE: It has already been a month too long without seeing my girlfriend.  I am so excited to have the opportunity to visit her and her boyfriend in their temporary home.  Wes also has family in Australia, so we will be spending a fair amount of time "house hopping" and visiting.

Annie, in Australia! Once I saw this picture, it was made official in my head that I NEEDED to go and enjoy that sunshine with her! *Annie's personal photo, used with permission*
  • It is a huge motivator that between Wes and I have so many connections in Australia.  Another girlfriend of mine and her family will also be traveling from London to Australia over the Christmas break to visit with friends.  Wes and I will end our trip with them and we will all fly back to Canada together.  This is extremely comforting, because this will be the first big trip both Wes and I will be traveling "alone" without our families.  

My girlfriend and her family will also be traveling to Australia!  This is a picture of us together in Mexico for a "family vacation".  *My personal photo*.
My next travel buddy! *My personal photo*.

No comments:

Post a Comment